Page 1 of 1

Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:32 am
by karnsetheron
Before anyone says that there are guides to creating a store in your outpost, I looked for over an hour using the search terms box and could not find one.

So here is my question. How do you set up a store in your outpost? I have the saloon and shop counter (large) built. The store is "PUBLIC" and the outpost is "PUBLIC". My outpost does have walls and a gate (the gate is open and set to public).

In the building i also have 2 weapons stands, 2 armor barrels, and a small counter. There are no items in any of the other containers except for the large counter which ONLY has rum in it.

It has now been 108 days and no traders have come. I have tried to reset pathing with control+shift+F11. That was 44 days ago.

*edit* It is now day 163 and i have yet to even see a trader come near my outpost.

So does anyone have any idea what i am doing incorrectly? Guidance would be super appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:27 am
by Hatsune_Neko
has found building near a trade route helps

Salon building works well because of size,
but there are issues with the AI and trading. even placing your trading outpost in the best spot the traders only rarely buy from you and tend to gather outside your outpost walking back and forth.

Re: Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:35 pm
by lionroot
I think is relative, I could sell rum and bread in my outpost.
I had set it up in a place where many caravans pass and they buy from my saloon.

In my first try I was in a place where rarely a caravan passed so I had not sold anything in that place.

For sure is bugged but working in some places where you set up the outpost, also I only saw that rum and bread are the things that they bought.

Hope this helps.

Re: Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 pm
by Enth
They will also buy Med Kits and Fabric. Haven't had any luck getting them to purchase any of the goods I create yet (Weapons, Clothing, Armor), or other raw materials (water/Hemp/wheatstraw). Still have to grab a few guys from my own squad and load them down like pack mules and head them off to the nearest city to sell my stuff.

SOON(TM)...soon...

Re: Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:23 pm
by Bluto
I built my outpost/town just outside Black Scratch, I haven't seen any traders at all.
So I'm thinking about either moving the whole operation or building a new outpost for trading. Do you guys have any suggestions on where?
Preferably not to far from Black Scratch since I don't want to move all my supplies across the map. :)

Re: Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:49 pm
by Hatsune_Neko
between Brink and Traders edge is a awesome spot. just build against the approach to traders edge from Brink. everyone has to pass thru that area. including bandits so beware.

Re: Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:22 pm
by Enth
I personally prefer building at the crossroads between Catan, Brink, Clownsteady, Shark, and the Traders Outpost in the northern desert. I see tons of foot traffic there...which makes the game very interesting when playing with the "Holy Sword" faction start.

VERY interesting, indeed...

Re: Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 pm
by Bluto
Ok, thanks, I think I'll go out on a scouting mission tonight and check those places out!

Re: Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:38 am
by Kent_Lang
Setting up a successful trading station is truly an art. The only faction that has traded with me has been the trading guild. They've bought both fabric and rum from my town. They seem to have two issues:

1. They have trouble pathfinding to and from the town. That is something that seems to be working better (but not solved) if you save and reload a game, but not if you just update the navmesh in-game. It also seems to have something to do with pathfinding into and out of interiors in actual towns. I've noticed that many times that some town-traders simply can't pathfind into the houses in towns, which has the amusing result of clustering all the town-traders and their guards outside the town and its walls. If the traders guild traders who trade with the player try to pathfind into any houses, it might be an explanation of why traders are so bugged right now. It definitely have something to do with that the doors and the lock/unlock feature. A way to solve this for me has been to send a character to the nearest towns and "pathcheck" the major houses. If they can't enter a house then you can fix it by opening and closing the door. By doing that I did at least start getting the occasional trading caravan to my outpost.

2. They also have trouble with bandits en route. Many times I've noticed that the few traders I do get are often limping and undermanned. I think that many caravans wipe somewhere along the way and that's why we don't see many reaching our towns.

3. You also need to be in a place where the trader's guild is somewhat active. Which means that you can't settle at the southern parts of the map. Like many have suggested - the dunes are a good place in that regard, if you can tolerate the wind noise and the difficulty of placing buildings there.

Re: Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:55 am
by Crador
Kent_Lang wrote:traders guild traders who trade
- you made my day there.
And yes, problems with trading = problems with pathfinding in my experiments too.

Re: Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:46 pm
by Kent_Lang
A small update: I noticed that you can sell chain sheet in the shop desk dispensers too (I call them dispensers because they're unmanned lol). Can the rest of you post any discoveries in regards to other trade goods especially those that you can't currently manufacture yourself. Try to experiment with different things and see if the trader has any bias towards buying any specific thing or in different regions. Honestly I don't believe they do, I think it's entirely random but it would still be fun to hear what the rest of you manage to do with it. :D

Re: Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:08 pm
by Lemonater47
They will also buy steel bars. And they are worth quite a bit and made fast.

Its also worth trying plates from the plate beating station if they buy chain sheets and steel bars they will probably buy plates. I'm using all mine at the moment in making armour trying to upgrade everyone.

Re: Creating a Store in Update .50

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:47 am
by KySoto
seems that using the chain for selling while not as space efficient at steel bars does yield quite a bit of money and isnt used for any crafting (as far as i know).