Page 1 of 1
Realistic Fog of War:
Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:13 pm
by Cyber_Donkey
I like Realistic Fog of War. If you've ever played Men of War, that's what I'm talking about. Where you can only see as much of the battlefield as your soldiers can. I think it would both increase the difficulty, and make it more fun.
In Men of War, there's an option to turn it on, or off. I don't know much about programming, so I don't know how difficult that'd be.
Re: Realistic Fog of War:
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:09 pm
by iSuck345
In other words, a fog of war on which you see everything like if you had eyes in every part of your body. Interesting... I agree with it, makes me feel like I'm some sore of demi-god (except the bandit b1t€h-slapping, bandit raids and much, much more. How I love this game).
Re: Realistic Fog of War:
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:30 pm
by Cyber_Donkey
Well, I meant where you see from the viewpoints of all your men at once.
Re: Realistic Fog of War:
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:12 pm
by Bancheis
This is a difficult thing to implement. While I agree you shouldn't know that enemies are coming around a large cliff or hill that has no line of sight, I think the distance you can see currently makes sense with the flat landscape. Every angle and hill would have to be judged against every character to determine if someone could see past it. Considering later versions of this game will likely contain hundreds of squaddies instead of being limited to 20 as it is now, this would put too much work on a computer to maintain. It will be difficult enough to optimize the final build to make it run smoothly without adding that process in I think. I don't know. Some form of this would be nice, but it just doesn't seem viable at this time.
Re: Realistic Fog of War:
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:06 pm
by Deathsteel
Doesn't COH 2 use this? You can only see what your soldiers see, I feel like this wouldn't put too much strain on a computer if you were running a decent gaming rig but I do not know if he wants this game to be focused at lower spec computers as well.
Re: Realistic Fog of War
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:32 am
by marches58
I know what you mean by fog of war. It's common in strategy games. In a way, it's already implemented. You can only move the camera within a certain radius of one of your squad members. In effect, you can only "see" things that are near one of your people.
Still, I believe you mean a more traditional fog of war, where the view around corners is blanked out/hazy/monochrome. Personally, I really thought the fog of war in Full Spectrum Warrior was neat, but that's more tactics than strategy.
Re: Realistic Fog of War:
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:50 pm
by PnzrNorm
Bumping this thread because...
+1 to fog of war (whenever Perception is considered)
+1 to constructs that constantly reveal fog of war (i.e. cameras, wards, or even a scrying orb)
Link to a thread requesting fog of war and capabilities to place cameras for static vision:
http://www.lofigames.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... war#p19531