Economic, Military, AI and Faction Rolling Ideas
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 pm
Hello everyone!
I am new to this forum here and I will say I am very excited for this game. It has so much potential! I will say first that I realize some of the things I have added below might have been previously suggested. I am not attempting to steal anyone's thunder or ideas, these are just my thoughts on how I would like to see the game one day.
I also apologize for the formatting and wall of text, I wrote this in OneNote to keep track of everything and its kind of a rolling list of Ideas, I'll add more as I think of more and try to flesh things out but I was hoping to get some initial reactions from you guys here.
Lastly I will say that I am very intrigued by this game and while I do not expect most if any of my ideas will make it into the game I hope some of them will. I do not look for recognition or reward, I just want a great game that I can play for hours and hours.
• General Gameplay:
○ I envision this game as being an RPG/RTS hybrid. I think with the proper mechanics, players can switch seamlessly between the different styles depending on their intended play styles. Some of these ideas if not most may have been suggested before, and I do not wish to steal from others, these are just ideas that would make the game better for me personally. If I take an idea from the forum I will credit the specific user who suggested it.
○ Allow families to be created. Marriages. Dynasties. Kingdoms, etc…
○ Introduce buyable plots of land. If in a town a player can purchase plots to build on. If a player has his or her own town, with the requisite research they can claim an area of land and divide it into properties. This will allow traders and craftsmen to be attracted to your town and buy the property to build upon. They will pay taxes. Too high of taxes, they will leave the town. Etc...
• Faction
○ Allow players to design own flag.
○ Allow players to design official outfits/uniforms of soldiers (if requisite research has been conducted).
○ Set Capital.
○ Conduct Diplomacy with other Kingdoms/Towns/City States.
§ Send ambassadors.
§ Set up embassies.
§ Set up trade agreements.
§ Assist in defense and aid.
○ Allow player to create family for dynasty purposes.
§ Introduce aging.
§ AI Can start families too.
• AI Upgrades
○ Bandits will construct bases of their own with defenses depending on the loot or ransom they get from captives.
○ Bandit leader, if left alive, will continue to lead resistance.
○ Bandits will continue to construct bases, so just destroying one base will not necessarily eliminate bandit presence for all time.
○ AI Towns will conduct diplomacy and trade with each other, possibly war with each other.
○ AI Towns will improve defenses, quality of homes, etc…as money flows into city. If you decide to live in a city as a merchant/worker you can see the city transform around you and build homes.
○ AI Towns will recruit you for missions if you are a RPG style player, some missions will not be available as they are for larger armies. But if you are an RTS player its not worth your time to go and hunt down a single criminal.
○ AI will choose smart locations to construct towns.
○ Traders will create trading posts for their own use and yours too…if you pay.
• Economic:
○ Added resources:
○ Rubber, Wood, Stone, Iron, Copper, Gold, Gems, Water, Clay, Leather, Straw/Hay.
○ Rubber needed for wiring and electrical components for tech upgrades and machines.
Add carts and other transport vehicles to carry large amounts of resources. For instance I think building materials should only be able to be carried in any good number by using carts.
○ Forestry:
○ Add forests with replantable trees or auto-regenerating trees.
○ No special wood species.
○ Mining:
○ Require minerals to be found in mountains. Mines must be constructed in mountains. One mine will allow player to select which ore(s) are to be mined. Researchable upgrades allow one mine to mine multiple resources, provided player has enough characters in the mine to mine each individual resource. Flooding of mines an important factor, as mines go deeper for increased metal density (researched upgrade) must add upgrade of pump.
○ Instead of separate machinery, allow upgrades to buildings. Installing Pump Mk. 1 to Mine will see a pump model placed onto mine and add the function of the pump to mine.
○ Characters with higher mining skill will be able to increase mine output faster and will train other characters present in the mine faster.
○ Laboring skill is a benefit to all manual labor tasks, but Mining is specific to the activity of mining.
○ Farming:
○ Farms must be re-planted and harvested.
○ Small, Medium, Large Farms.
○ Upgrades to farms such as: irrigation (double food production), fertilizer bin, (more food yield increased, Hay baler (able to produce feed for animals and straw for other industrial processes with wheat farms).
○ Introduce cattle, goats, chickens and other desert livestock.
○ Introduce cheese, milk, meat, eggs, bread, flour, fruits and vegetables including grapes for wine production, olives for olive oil production and barley/wheat for beer production.
§ Wine production requires bottles which are made from sand in a glass blowers facility.
§ Olive Oil requires ceramic containers which are made at a Kiln.
○ General Building:
○ Buildings have upgrade slots. Production buildings have upgrade slots to add new pieces of equipment to aid in production or generation of secondary resources.
○ Shacks become general purpose buildings, interior pieces are added through use of upgrade slots. A Small Shack will have 4 upgrade slots allowing 4 items such as 4 beds, 4 training dummies, etc… to be built inside. Allows full customization of shacks.
○ Each character must have some sort of housing. Tents count.
○ Sleep required for proper healing. Normal healing rate in home, +5% in Medical Cot. +10% in Medical Station, 15% in Medical Bay, 25% in Medical Wing.
○ Medical Wing allows robotic limbs to be added with appropriate research.
○ Buildings can have medical bays added as one of the upgrades. A general purpose hospital tent/building can be constructed that gives further benefit to any medical upgrades.
○ Warehouse added. Must research and then build individual containers for each resource. Small warehouse has 5 Bays which hold 100 of each resource. Medium Warehouse has 12 Bays which hold 150 of each resource. Large Warehouse Has 20 Bays and holds 250 of each resource.
§ Upgrades (Including number of upgrade slots followed by requisite research and what items may be be produced at each upgrade:
□ Medical:
® Cot (1 Slot) - Medical I -
® Small Medical Station (2 slots) Medical III
® Medical Bay (3 Slots) Medical V
® Medical Wing (5 Slots) Medical VII
® Suture Facility (1 Slot) Medical I + Sutures - Allows Bleeding to be slowed 75%
® Pill Mill (2 Slots) Medical III + Medication - Allows 1/2 movement effects from wounds.
□ Production:
® Small Rum Distillery (2 Slots) - Rum Distilling I (Requires Storage I + Barrel), Farming I + Wheat.
◊ Barrel of Rum
® Small Olive Press (2 Slots) - Olive Pressing I (Requires Storage I + Amphora (( Requires Ceramics I)), Farming I + Olives.
◊ Amphora of Oil
® Small Wine Press (2 Slots) - Wine Pressing I (Requires Storage I + Glass Bottle ((Requires Glassblowing I)),
◊ Bottle of Wine
® Flour Mill (2 Slots) - Baking 1, (Storage 1 + Packets)
◊ Flour Mill + Electric Grinder (4 Slots) - Baking III
◊ Sack of Flour
® Small Oven (1 Slot) - Baking I
◊ Bread Loaf
® Large Oven (2 Slots) - Baking III
◊ Bread Loaf
® Small Smelting Furnace (2 Slots) - Ore Smelting I
◊ Ingots
® Large Smelting Furnace (4 Slots) - Ore Smelting III
◊ Ingots
® Foundry (8 Slots) - Ore Smelting V
® Small Kiln (1 Slot) - Ceramics I
◊ Bricks
◊ Moulds
◊ Amphorae
® Large Kiln (2 Slots) - Ceramics III
® Glassblowing Station - (3 Slots) - Glassblowing I
◊ Glass Panes
◊ Bottles - Bottles I
◊ Lantern - Lighting III
® Joining Station - (2 Slots) - Joining I
◊ Torches
◊ Spearhafts
◊ Bow Staves
◊ Wood Planks
□ Military
® Saddlemaking Station
◊ Saddles
® Armor Smithing Station
◊ Helmet
◊ Cuirass
◊ Boots
® Sword Smithing Station
◊ Sword
® Poleturning Station
◊ Spear
◊ Halberd
® Fletching Station
◊ Recurve Bow
◊ Longbow
◊ Crossbow
◊ Arbalest
® Shieldmaking Station
◊ Buckler
○ Civilian Character Additions:
○ Introduce professions. Characters can be assigned professions as the buildings are researched and built. They will work in these buildings and gain skill. Bakers, Weapon-smiths, miners, blacksmiths, stone-masons, engineers, soldier (different classes), scientists, doctors. They will collect resources as needed.
○ High leadership characters can be assigned to "manage" buildings, essentially automating the entire building including the depositing and retrieval of resources in warehouses. Will submit requests to player for more resources, more workers, etc…
○ Bookcases added and certain books can be purchased to train characters in certain skills.
○ Possibility to automate characters and let them go about their daily lives as they wish. Going to work, earning wages, spending wages at shops in outpost, upgrading own homes as they accumulate wealth.
○ Ability to tax population of outpost once certain research conducted requiring a certain number of citizens, houses and production facilities.
○ Food and water important. Characters must eat and drink.
○ Road construction for double travel rates.
○ Safehouse/Bunker. Adds a safehouse. When "Professional Army" doctrine is chosen, sounding the alarm will send all noncombat characters fleeing for such facilities. Certain trading caravans will look upon your outpost as more desirable if there are adequate safehouses in the event of a bandit raid.
• Military: (OPTIONAL IDEA)
○ For defense, players can select a defensive doctrine at their faction page (just an idea). Options include:
§ Citizen army. Sounding the alarm will mobilize citizenry to take up weapons stored at their homes. Characters will have their own armor stored at their homes.
§ Benefits:
□ No salary paid for military work.
□ Quick and easy method of defense.
□ Entire base can rally to defense which adds large numbers.
□ Daily patrols and sentry duty will add training to every citizen as they rotate.
§ Drawbacks:
□ Citizen soldiers are not as powerful as professional soldiers.
□ Equipment is not uniform, so some characters weaker than others depending on economic circumstances.
□ Difficulty sustaining a military campaign due to lack of resource production.
□ Limited use of formation.
§ Professional Army. A standing army of characters who are warriors by trade. Removes the option of sounding alarm to arm citizens.
§ Benefits:
□ Powerful units.
Uniform equipment.
□ Ability to use more complex formations.
□ Ability to sustain a campaign effectively.
§ Drawbacks:
□ Expensive, must be paid salary.
□ Lesser numbers depending on faction's financial circumstances.
□ Require uniforms, weapons, and a base level of training before they are available as soldiers.
□ Much research therefore required.
§ Nomad Army. Every man for himself, basically an RPG setup.
§ Benefits:
□ Free-ranging.
□ Difficult to track.
□ Ability to flee easily.
□ Strong individual units.
§ Disadvantages:
□ No base to hole up at.
□ Range limited by baggage train and character inventories and proximity to food and water.
○ More use of formation. AI bandits can use cavalry/ camels or infantry. Horse-archers, camel-archers. Some entire tribes of desert beduins with mobile bases.
○ Faction specific uniforms including player created faction. Uniforms can even consist of rags but these can be colored and symbols attached. Armor can be customized for certain types. Heavy armor of faction can be customized by player so any characters wearing armor created by the faction will have matching pieces. Use of weapon smithing table allows players to make individual suits if they prefer a more RPG like setting as opposed to the RTS style of matching uniforms. Allow players to tinker with armor composition. Increased weight with inclusion of heavier armor vs. actual benefit of added material. (i.e. iron vs steel, plate vs. lames vs. mail vs. scale vs. leather vs. cloth).
○ Players can adapt research to their intended play style, medium infantry can use a certain type of armor and like with weapons, can be shot-gunned or can be focused. If an RPG style arrangement is more the style, players can order armor from armor smiths and purchase plans to produce a certain weapon/armor. Wherever this weapon falls on the scale of quality depends on price. RTS players if located in a dangerous area but have large amounts of money can purchase plans for specific weapon/ armor plans as a stop-gap until research is able to catch up.
○ Shields same research qualities. Different styles: large shields, small shields, bucklers, etc… single grain, double grain, plywood, metal rimmed, metal coated. Bronze, iron, steel.
○ Different types of weapons. For instance, researching “blade” will open up several different categories like “katana”, “cleaver”, “washiki”, “sabre”, “falcate”, “long sword”, “gladius”, “dirk”, etc…
§ Allow research trees for each weapon.
§ The further down each tree the better weapon can be created (lighter weapon, more damage, greater defense).
§ The greater research times forces players to decide between shot-gunning every weapon to make each type but not of the best quality or choosing to specialize depending on intended fighting style.
○ Ability to engineer defenses such as ditches, palisades, small fences, spiked ditches, moats, etc…this is based on engineering skill ONLY. Plans cannot be bought for such things. Higher engineering skill unlocks more complicated defenses and allows them to be built quicker. This rewards RPG style players.
§ Perhaps introduce a “supervise” role for RTS style players that allows characters with higher engineering skills to “supervise” several other characters and allow them to increase their rate of construction at ½ that of the supervisors and allow double experience accumulation while being supervised. Great engineers can be hired.
§ Basic defenses known to every character are: ditch, small fence.
§ More complicated defenses can be researched and learned if engineering skill is high enough: spike lined ditch, trench, spike pit, palisade, moat.
○ Siege weapons.
○ Cavalry introduced along with the ability to capture wild horses/camels or breed them.
○ Ability to group characters into formation. This is in keeping with the game’s RPG element. Can fight in formation or as individuals.
○ Ability to create temporary camps for the night allowing a “nomad” type of player to set up temporary encampments for the night or for a few days. Even solo players are able to set up defenses on their own.
○ Set sentries to keep watch. Lack of sentries will allow enemies to sneak up on camp without player being forewarned.
○ Torches, lanterns, braziers, etc…required for night time sight.
○ Diplomacy with other factions.
○ Ability to create mercenary group and fight for bounties. Different missions, protect city, eliminate any enemies within certain area, destroy enemy base, hunt certain enemy group.
○ Ability to raid caravans/villages. Allows a more RPG style setup. Players can create their own little bandit bases without the need for massive research systems or economic support perhaps only food and water. The income produced from raiding caravans will allow them to purchase weapon plans and allow better weapons and armor so they can perform raids on more well defended caravans and villages.
I am new to this forum here and I will say I am very excited for this game. It has so much potential! I will say first that I realize some of the things I have added below might have been previously suggested. I am not attempting to steal anyone's thunder or ideas, these are just my thoughts on how I would like to see the game one day.
I also apologize for the formatting and wall of text, I wrote this in OneNote to keep track of everything and its kind of a rolling list of Ideas, I'll add more as I think of more and try to flesh things out but I was hoping to get some initial reactions from you guys here.
Lastly I will say that I am very intrigued by this game and while I do not expect most if any of my ideas will make it into the game I hope some of them will. I do not look for recognition or reward, I just want a great game that I can play for hours and hours.
• General Gameplay:
○ I envision this game as being an RPG/RTS hybrid. I think with the proper mechanics, players can switch seamlessly between the different styles depending on their intended play styles. Some of these ideas if not most may have been suggested before, and I do not wish to steal from others, these are just ideas that would make the game better for me personally. If I take an idea from the forum I will credit the specific user who suggested it.
○ Allow families to be created. Marriages. Dynasties. Kingdoms, etc…
○ Introduce buyable plots of land. If in a town a player can purchase plots to build on. If a player has his or her own town, with the requisite research they can claim an area of land and divide it into properties. This will allow traders and craftsmen to be attracted to your town and buy the property to build upon. They will pay taxes. Too high of taxes, they will leave the town. Etc...
• Faction
○ Allow players to design own flag.
○ Allow players to design official outfits/uniforms of soldiers (if requisite research has been conducted).
○ Set Capital.
○ Conduct Diplomacy with other Kingdoms/Towns/City States.
§ Send ambassadors.
§ Set up embassies.
§ Set up trade agreements.
§ Assist in defense and aid.
○ Allow player to create family for dynasty purposes.
§ Introduce aging.
§ AI Can start families too.
• AI Upgrades
○ Bandits will construct bases of their own with defenses depending on the loot or ransom they get from captives.
○ Bandit leader, if left alive, will continue to lead resistance.
○ Bandits will continue to construct bases, so just destroying one base will not necessarily eliminate bandit presence for all time.
○ AI Towns will conduct diplomacy and trade with each other, possibly war with each other.
○ AI Towns will improve defenses, quality of homes, etc…as money flows into city. If you decide to live in a city as a merchant/worker you can see the city transform around you and build homes.
○ AI Towns will recruit you for missions if you are a RPG style player, some missions will not be available as they are for larger armies. But if you are an RTS player its not worth your time to go and hunt down a single criminal.
○ AI will choose smart locations to construct towns.
○ Traders will create trading posts for their own use and yours too…if you pay.
• Economic:
○ Added resources:
○ Rubber, Wood, Stone, Iron, Copper, Gold, Gems, Water, Clay, Leather, Straw/Hay.
○ Rubber needed for wiring and electrical components for tech upgrades and machines.
Add carts and other transport vehicles to carry large amounts of resources. For instance I think building materials should only be able to be carried in any good number by using carts.
○ Forestry:
○ Add forests with replantable trees or auto-regenerating trees.
○ No special wood species.
○ Mining:
○ Require minerals to be found in mountains. Mines must be constructed in mountains. One mine will allow player to select which ore(s) are to be mined. Researchable upgrades allow one mine to mine multiple resources, provided player has enough characters in the mine to mine each individual resource. Flooding of mines an important factor, as mines go deeper for increased metal density (researched upgrade) must add upgrade of pump.
○ Instead of separate machinery, allow upgrades to buildings. Installing Pump Mk. 1 to Mine will see a pump model placed onto mine and add the function of the pump to mine.
○ Characters with higher mining skill will be able to increase mine output faster and will train other characters present in the mine faster.
○ Laboring skill is a benefit to all manual labor tasks, but Mining is specific to the activity of mining.
○ Farming:
○ Farms must be re-planted and harvested.
○ Small, Medium, Large Farms.
○ Upgrades to farms such as: irrigation (double food production), fertilizer bin, (more food yield increased, Hay baler (able to produce feed for animals and straw for other industrial processes with wheat farms).
○ Introduce cattle, goats, chickens and other desert livestock.
○ Introduce cheese, milk, meat, eggs, bread, flour, fruits and vegetables including grapes for wine production, olives for olive oil production and barley/wheat for beer production.
§ Wine production requires bottles which are made from sand in a glass blowers facility.
§ Olive Oil requires ceramic containers which are made at a Kiln.
○ General Building:
○ Buildings have upgrade slots. Production buildings have upgrade slots to add new pieces of equipment to aid in production or generation of secondary resources.
○ Shacks become general purpose buildings, interior pieces are added through use of upgrade slots. A Small Shack will have 4 upgrade slots allowing 4 items such as 4 beds, 4 training dummies, etc… to be built inside. Allows full customization of shacks.
○ Each character must have some sort of housing. Tents count.
○ Sleep required for proper healing. Normal healing rate in home, +5% in Medical Cot. +10% in Medical Station, 15% in Medical Bay, 25% in Medical Wing.
○ Medical Wing allows robotic limbs to be added with appropriate research.
○ Buildings can have medical bays added as one of the upgrades. A general purpose hospital tent/building can be constructed that gives further benefit to any medical upgrades.
○ Warehouse added. Must research and then build individual containers for each resource. Small warehouse has 5 Bays which hold 100 of each resource. Medium Warehouse has 12 Bays which hold 150 of each resource. Large Warehouse Has 20 Bays and holds 250 of each resource.
§ Upgrades (Including number of upgrade slots followed by requisite research and what items may be be produced at each upgrade:
□ Medical:
® Cot (1 Slot) - Medical I -
® Small Medical Station (2 slots) Medical III
® Medical Bay (3 Slots) Medical V
® Medical Wing (5 Slots) Medical VII
® Suture Facility (1 Slot) Medical I + Sutures - Allows Bleeding to be slowed 75%
® Pill Mill (2 Slots) Medical III + Medication - Allows 1/2 movement effects from wounds.
□ Production:
® Small Rum Distillery (2 Slots) - Rum Distilling I (Requires Storage I + Barrel), Farming I + Wheat.
◊ Barrel of Rum
® Small Olive Press (2 Slots) - Olive Pressing I (Requires Storage I + Amphora (( Requires Ceramics I)), Farming I + Olives.
◊ Amphora of Oil
® Small Wine Press (2 Slots) - Wine Pressing I (Requires Storage I + Glass Bottle ((Requires Glassblowing I)),
◊ Bottle of Wine
® Flour Mill (2 Slots) - Baking 1, (Storage 1 + Packets)
◊ Flour Mill + Electric Grinder (4 Slots) - Baking III
◊ Sack of Flour
® Small Oven (1 Slot) - Baking I
◊ Bread Loaf
® Large Oven (2 Slots) - Baking III
◊ Bread Loaf
® Small Smelting Furnace (2 Slots) - Ore Smelting I
◊ Ingots
® Large Smelting Furnace (4 Slots) - Ore Smelting III
◊ Ingots
® Foundry (8 Slots) - Ore Smelting V
® Small Kiln (1 Slot) - Ceramics I
◊ Bricks
◊ Moulds
◊ Amphorae
® Large Kiln (2 Slots) - Ceramics III
® Glassblowing Station - (3 Slots) - Glassblowing I
◊ Glass Panes
◊ Bottles - Bottles I
◊ Lantern - Lighting III
® Joining Station - (2 Slots) - Joining I
◊ Torches
◊ Spearhafts
◊ Bow Staves
◊ Wood Planks
□ Military
® Saddlemaking Station
◊ Saddles
® Armor Smithing Station
◊ Helmet
◊ Cuirass
◊ Boots
® Sword Smithing Station
◊ Sword
® Poleturning Station
◊ Spear
◊ Halberd
® Fletching Station
◊ Recurve Bow
◊ Longbow
◊ Crossbow
◊ Arbalest
® Shieldmaking Station
◊ Buckler
○ Civilian Character Additions:
○ Introduce professions. Characters can be assigned professions as the buildings are researched and built. They will work in these buildings and gain skill. Bakers, Weapon-smiths, miners, blacksmiths, stone-masons, engineers, soldier (different classes), scientists, doctors. They will collect resources as needed.
○ High leadership characters can be assigned to "manage" buildings, essentially automating the entire building including the depositing and retrieval of resources in warehouses. Will submit requests to player for more resources, more workers, etc…
○ Bookcases added and certain books can be purchased to train characters in certain skills.
○ Possibility to automate characters and let them go about their daily lives as they wish. Going to work, earning wages, spending wages at shops in outpost, upgrading own homes as they accumulate wealth.
○ Ability to tax population of outpost once certain research conducted requiring a certain number of citizens, houses and production facilities.
○ Food and water important. Characters must eat and drink.
○ Road construction for double travel rates.
○ Safehouse/Bunker. Adds a safehouse. When "Professional Army" doctrine is chosen, sounding the alarm will send all noncombat characters fleeing for such facilities. Certain trading caravans will look upon your outpost as more desirable if there are adequate safehouses in the event of a bandit raid.
• Military: (OPTIONAL IDEA)
○ For defense, players can select a defensive doctrine at their faction page (just an idea). Options include:
§ Citizen army. Sounding the alarm will mobilize citizenry to take up weapons stored at their homes. Characters will have their own armor stored at their homes.
§ Benefits:
□ No salary paid for military work.
□ Quick and easy method of defense.
□ Entire base can rally to defense which adds large numbers.
□ Daily patrols and sentry duty will add training to every citizen as they rotate.
§ Drawbacks:
□ Citizen soldiers are not as powerful as professional soldiers.
□ Equipment is not uniform, so some characters weaker than others depending on economic circumstances.
□ Difficulty sustaining a military campaign due to lack of resource production.
□ Limited use of formation.
§ Professional Army. A standing army of characters who are warriors by trade. Removes the option of sounding alarm to arm citizens.
§ Benefits:
□ Powerful units.
Uniform equipment.
□ Ability to use more complex formations.
□ Ability to sustain a campaign effectively.
§ Drawbacks:
□ Expensive, must be paid salary.
□ Lesser numbers depending on faction's financial circumstances.
□ Require uniforms, weapons, and a base level of training before they are available as soldiers.
□ Much research therefore required.
§ Nomad Army. Every man for himself, basically an RPG setup.
§ Benefits:
□ Free-ranging.
□ Difficult to track.
□ Ability to flee easily.
□ Strong individual units.
§ Disadvantages:
□ No base to hole up at.
□ Range limited by baggage train and character inventories and proximity to food and water.
○ More use of formation. AI bandits can use cavalry/ camels or infantry. Horse-archers, camel-archers. Some entire tribes of desert beduins with mobile bases.
○ Faction specific uniforms including player created faction. Uniforms can even consist of rags but these can be colored and symbols attached. Armor can be customized for certain types. Heavy armor of faction can be customized by player so any characters wearing armor created by the faction will have matching pieces. Use of weapon smithing table allows players to make individual suits if they prefer a more RPG like setting as opposed to the RTS style of matching uniforms. Allow players to tinker with armor composition. Increased weight with inclusion of heavier armor vs. actual benefit of added material. (i.e. iron vs steel, plate vs. lames vs. mail vs. scale vs. leather vs. cloth).
○ Players can adapt research to their intended play style, medium infantry can use a certain type of armor and like with weapons, can be shot-gunned or can be focused. If an RPG style arrangement is more the style, players can order armor from armor smiths and purchase plans to produce a certain weapon/armor. Wherever this weapon falls on the scale of quality depends on price. RTS players if located in a dangerous area but have large amounts of money can purchase plans for specific weapon/ armor plans as a stop-gap until research is able to catch up.
○ Shields same research qualities. Different styles: large shields, small shields, bucklers, etc… single grain, double grain, plywood, metal rimmed, metal coated. Bronze, iron, steel.
○ Different types of weapons. For instance, researching “blade” will open up several different categories like “katana”, “cleaver”, “washiki”, “sabre”, “falcate”, “long sword”, “gladius”, “dirk”, etc…
§ Allow research trees for each weapon.
§ The further down each tree the better weapon can be created (lighter weapon, more damage, greater defense).
§ The greater research times forces players to decide between shot-gunning every weapon to make each type but not of the best quality or choosing to specialize depending on intended fighting style.
○ Ability to engineer defenses such as ditches, palisades, small fences, spiked ditches, moats, etc…this is based on engineering skill ONLY. Plans cannot be bought for such things. Higher engineering skill unlocks more complicated defenses and allows them to be built quicker. This rewards RPG style players.
§ Perhaps introduce a “supervise” role for RTS style players that allows characters with higher engineering skills to “supervise” several other characters and allow them to increase their rate of construction at ½ that of the supervisors and allow double experience accumulation while being supervised. Great engineers can be hired.
§ Basic defenses known to every character are: ditch, small fence.
§ More complicated defenses can be researched and learned if engineering skill is high enough: spike lined ditch, trench, spike pit, palisade, moat.
○ Siege weapons.
○ Cavalry introduced along with the ability to capture wild horses/camels or breed them.
○ Ability to group characters into formation. This is in keeping with the game’s RPG element. Can fight in formation or as individuals.
○ Ability to create temporary camps for the night allowing a “nomad” type of player to set up temporary encampments for the night or for a few days. Even solo players are able to set up defenses on their own.
○ Set sentries to keep watch. Lack of sentries will allow enemies to sneak up on camp without player being forewarned.
○ Torches, lanterns, braziers, etc…required for night time sight.
○ Diplomacy with other factions.
○ Ability to create mercenary group and fight for bounties. Different missions, protect city, eliminate any enemies within certain area, destroy enemy base, hunt certain enemy group.
○ Ability to raid caravans/villages. Allows a more RPG style setup. Players can create their own little bandit bases without the need for massive research systems or economic support perhaps only food and water. The income produced from raiding caravans will allow them to purchase weapon plans and allow better weapons and armor so they can perform raids on more well defended caravans and villages.